Monday, May 17, 2010

Heavy Heart

For about a little over a year now I've been following the story of a little boy named Ethan.  I met his parents in our Sunday School class in January of 2009.  We've had several couples come and visit our class but for some reason in January 2009 this couple just struck me as the sweetest family.  I can remember telling Aaron after class that I really liked them a lot and really hoped they came back.  I even remembered their names, and I typically can never remember visitor's names unless they come several times.  This couple only came once.  I didn't know why this couple made such a lasting impression until a couple of months later.

We received word two months later that Ethan had been very sick.  Doctors thought it was just the flu, but his parents ended up taking him on to Vanderbilt and tests ended up showing he had brain cancer.  Some sweet lady that always referred to herself as Ethan's fairy godmother kept a running blog of Ethan's life, both in the hospital with cancer treatments and his life at home.  I tried to keep up with her blog on a regular basis and kept this little boy in my prayers.  Around last Monday she updated that he was back in the hospital and things were not looking good.  They sent Ethan home a couple of days later.  In the following days her updates were about the same...things were not looking good.  I received several e-mail updates yesterday with pretty much the same updates stressing to give the family their time together. 

As I took Blake to bed last night, I sat in the rocking chair and prayed for Blake just as I always do.  Then I began to pray so hard for little Ethan.  Once I put Blake in the bed I checked my e-mail again.  Yes, there was another e-mail, and it has the news that I had been dreading.  Ethan had gone to live with his Maker around 5:30 last night.  This just broke my heart and the tears flooded my face.  Even though I really didn't even know this family except for the 1 class that I had with them, I had been so touched by his story and pain that he had experienced as well as the emotional pain his parents were experiencing.  I just can't imagine the pain his parents as well as the rest of the family are experiencing.  Ethan's story is the reason that I've been trying so hard not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy every single moment with my children, even the very trying times.

I am so bless to have the very best boys.  They are happy and so healthy.  I pray every day for their health and happiness.  Please join with me in praying for Ethan's parents, sister and the rest of the family through this very difficult time and in the coming days. 

1 comment:

  1. So, so sorry. I followed a blog about a little girl named Allie - she was born about the same time as Emma. When she was nine months old, she passed away after a battle with leukemia. The day she passed away I cried like it was someone I knew. I still read her mother's blog. Anyways, I will keep them in my prayers. Hope you are doing well.... I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete