Friday, July 9, 2010

Two by Two

Several years before Aaron's grandma died she started making quilts for the great-grandkids.  She was still alive when Connor was born, but she died a year before Blake was born.  But, while she was still able, she went ahead and made us another one in hopes that we'd some day have another little guy. 

When Connor was born I had purchased a little blanket with a rabbit head on it with his name on it.  Connor never really snuggled with it that much.  I did the same thing for Blake.  I ended up getting Blake the exact same one.  Boy was that a good idea (getting the exact one, that is). 

I said all of that to tell this story.  Blake has been very attached his little rabbit for a long time now.  When he was really small, I was able to switch out his rabbit with Connor's rabbit if his was dirty or I couldn't find his.  Or, I could switch it out with another one that has a little Winnie the Pooh face on it.  Well, no longer can I trick him with the Winnie the Pooh.  So, it's a good thing I have Connor's.  At Christmas, I forgot the rabbit!!!  The first night we were back home for Christmas, Blake did not sleep well at all!!  He insisted on sleeping in the bed with Aaron and myself.  He cried until he went to sleep.  None of this is very typical of Blake at all.  The next morning I asked Aaron's mom if she happened to have another one of the "rabbits".  We buy them at a big Christmas Village type thing.  Yes!!  She did.  It was the same color, only had a lamb head.  I was so thankful she had bought ahead just to have a baby gift on hand!!  Thankfully, Blake didn't realize it wasn't a rabbit, and he slept so much better the rest of the trip.

Well, the rabbit situation and the blanket situation has gotten out of control.  Blake now thinks that he needs 2 rabbits to sleep with.  And, now that he has discovered we have 2 of the blankets that are the same except for the color on the back (because I had to get Connor's out when Blake's was dirty) he insists on 2 blankets at bed time.  One rabbit in each arm plus 2 blankets on him.  That's not that big of a deal except that I have to hold all of these in my arms as well as Blake when we rock.  I'm just about out of room in my arms.  For about a week, he also insisted on this bear that rattles in my arms as well.  Thankfully, I think the past 3 nights we've been able to ditch the bear.

two rabbits


Two blankets. 
Oh, how Aaron's grandma would just eat it up that Blake is so attached to her blankets.


Two rabbits and Two blankets

And, he knows when one is missing when he goes to bed.  He'll say "RaRa" if one rabbit is missing or blanket if we don't have two blankets. What a little mess! 

1 comment:

  1. He is too stinkin cute! I would never be able to resist that face :)

    ReplyDelete