Thursday, June 24, 2010

VBS and Sight Words

Our week as been filled with Vacation Bible School. This was Connor's first experience with VBS (with the exception of going with a friend last Thursday night) as he has been too young to go to our church VBS until this year.  He has LOVED it!!  I think he'll be sad when tomorrow is over.  He brought his friend, Drake, with him yesterday.  He has just loved every part of it.  I'm so thankful he's had the chance to go this year.  Tonight we have Family Night at the church to show off to the parents what we have done this week and eat a little supper. 

Yesterday afternoon Connor decided he wanted to start learning some sight words.  When he registered for kindergarten, they sent us home with 4 ziplock bags containing different games and activities to work with our children over the summer.  We had done 3 of the bags, but I had been putting off the sight words bag.  But, yesterday he insisted on working on those.  So, I picked out the easiest ones that were in there...I, a, the, on, to, and go.  He worked and worked on those and then took a nap.  He was so afraid that he'd forget them when he took his nap.  But, this afternoon after I got Blake down for a nap, we got the 6 words out again, and he still remembered all of them.  For some reason the and go make him have to stop and think longer.  But, he still gets them.  So, we decided to add 3 more for today.  So he now knows see, cat and we.  Before he went to bed for a nap, we did them several times over and over and he now knows all 9 of them.

He always insists on a book before he takes a nap.  So, I went and got an easy book out of Blake's room.  I traced each word as I read it and paused when we got to one of the 9 words he had learned to let him have a chance to say it.  And, he did recognize almost all of them!!  He is so super proud of himself and so eager to learn more words.  I think there are only 5 more weeks before schools starts.  Guess I should start stocking up on Kleenex for myself!  I'm going to be a mess on that first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment