Friday, October 8, 2010

So Proud

I just had to show you a picture of what I find every morning when I go into Connor's room.

Isn't this terrific?!?!?!  About two months ago we started a reward system that would last 31 days.  We had a sheet with the days 1-31 listed.  Every morning that Connor made his bed WITHOUT HAVING TO BE TOLD he could mark off a day.  If it didn't get made, he had to start all over from day 1 (with 1 grace day).  Once he finished he would be rewarded with a new Wii game.  This was done in hopes that he would get in the habit and not have to be reminded to make his bed...AND IT WORKED!!!  I honestly could not tell you the last time I had to remind him to make his bed.  It is always done as soon as he wakes up. 

I am a firm believer in children having responsibilities.  Mine do not have a crazy number of things they have to do, but Connor does have to make his bed, pick up his clothes and put in laundry basket, put clean clothes up that have been placed outside his bedroom door, take his plate and cup to sink after a meal and pick up toys.  For the most part, he is great about taking care of all of these things.  It is a habit now.  As he gets older, the list will lengthen by a couple more chores.  But, for now, this works.  At times he will complain, but I remind him that this house belongs to all of us and it is our responsibility to take care of it. 

I'm just so proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment