Monday, September 13, 2010

Tie Dying

This week has been Spirit Week at Connor's school leading up to the Cougar Run (which will be discussed in a blog in a few days).  Tuesday Connor wore school colors, Wednesday was flip flop day and Thursday was wear anything and everything Tie Dye.  Well, this family doesn't own anything tie dye.  So, what would one do?  Well, in this family (or actually should I say, if you are Aaron), if you don't have it...just make it yourself.  Well, Aaron didn't realize tie dye day was Thursday until Wednesday night at church supper.  So, we decided that he and Connor would go ahead and leave church to make a tie dye shirt.  Well, they went to Hobby Lobby and bought a kit and 2 t-shirts.  I had told him to get a small or a size 4T.  This is very important to know for later.  Anyways...I get home at 7:45 from church only to discover that they had not even started on the shirt.  The shirt had to be washed first.  Waiting until the last minute is so not the way I work.  But, it is apparently the way Aaron's side of the family likes to do things.  Aaron and his sister are a lot alike in this way.  But, we love them anyways.  The rest of us just get a little stressed while their last minute projects are getting completed...and they always do get completed on time.  Don't know how they do it. 

So, by 8:00 the shirt was ready to be dyed.  I guess I'm just not very well-rounded because I've never made a tie dye shirt.  So, it was very entertaining for me to watch them make these shirts.  They did two different designs on the shirts and decided to make the decision Thursday morning as to which shirt Connor would be wearing.  Here are pictures of the progress.






After the shirt had been made, it had to sit for 6-8 hours and then be washed!!!  Well, at this point it is 8:30.   Well, you do the math on that one!  So, Aaron decided he'd just stick it in the washer he went to bed around midnight because according to Aaron "that is almost 6 hours" (humm...not in my book, but oh well, how can you mess up a tie dye shirt??).  Well, he ended up falling asleep on the couch and not waking up until 2:00 am, so it worked out okay anyway.  He washed it then and I put it in the dryer when I left for the Y at 4:30.  Well, when I got it out of the washer I looked to see what size he ended up getting because it looked a little small to me.  Ready for this one???  Our 5 year old kindergartener was going to be wearing a XS/2-4 shirt!  I about died.  I was so worried that all of this work was going to be for nothing because it would be too small to even wear!!  I did tell him size 4 and this shirt did have a 4 on it, so I guess he thought that was normally what Connor wore.  Oh, well.  When I got home at 7:30, Blake and Connor did a fashion show for me so we could decide which one for Connor to wear.  And the winner is...

Good thing Connor is a small fry! 
It fit pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment